Tuesday, March 4, 2008

First post from Alabama!

Well, we made it to Alabama safely! Our flights on Saturday went as smoothly as possible, and everyone did well on the planes. We were at our apartment by about 2:30 in the afternoon….just in time to enjoy the beautiful weather! Tom took the kids to the playground here at the apartments so I could get in a quick nap, and they loved being outside to play. They both said they like Alabama, so let’s hope it stays that way!

Things were going well, until I ended up getting sick during the night Saturday night. I was in bed ALL day Sunday & felt pretty miserable. I’m still not sure exactly what the “diagnosis” was, but I was able to at least get out of bed yesterday to take care of the kids so Tom could go to work. Finally by last night, I felt much better & back to myself.

That means today there’s lots to accomplish! Going to the grocery store, stopping by the school to see about getting Mackenzie registered, and other odds & ends stuff.

I have to tell you one last thing that I’m already learning about the weather down here. Evidently there was a tornado that hit earlier this week before Tom got back. It knocked down quite a few trees at the civic center in town. We happened to drive by yesterday & see the damage. Anyways, they were calling for another storm last night, which didn’t really phase me. But, at 3:15 in the morning, all of a sudden there was this announcement over the loud speakers that are all over the place down here. It said: “Attention, a severe thunderstorm warning is in effect” and then the siren went off. It seemed like forever, but the point is that it sounded like some person was standing right outside our window with a mega phone making this announcement, and the siren was ridiculously loud. Luckily none of the kids woke up, but I guess there’s no need to worry whether we’ll know if a tornado is coming or not! And to top it all off, the storm ended up not being bad at all. Oh well….

One of these days I will actually try to get some pictures on here again. It’s just a little more difficult since we don’t have internet access at our apartment. I’ll try to update again in a couple days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear you made it. And I must admit that I am envious of your nice weather. Have you purchased the "Sweet Home Alabama" movie or soundtrack or single yet? You should set that to play everytime someone logs onto your blog. Ha, ha.

I hope all goes well this week with all of your errands. I will be praying for you as you adjust to "life in the South". Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the trip went well. Brig and I have come down with that cough/cold stuff, and I was hoping that Mackenzie didn't come down with it during your trip. Yeah, the storms are pretty crazy during Feb./Mar. timeframe especially. House hunting hint, search for one that has a basement, or "storm refuge". Brig and I had some wild storms come through Huntsville while we were there. In fact, weeks before we moved back here, a tornado touched down just 1.5 miles from our house. That was a scary one. But, the beautiful weather otherwise more than makes up for those storms. By the way, the song "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lenard Skinnerd (not sure about the spelling) will make a whole lot more sense after you've lived down there for a while and figure out where all the places are that the song talks about. In fact...you can use the song as a weekend travel planner...go visit Mussel Shoals & Boaz! :) Chow for now. --Marla