Monday, March 24, 2008

A nice weekend

Ok, so I screwed up really bad! Tom planned a little weekend get-away to get out of this spacious 2-bedroom apartment! It wasn't really that organized as far as packing, mainly because I kept procrastinating to actually pack stuff. Anyways, Tom had looked up the weather in Destin, FL, and it was supposed to be just in the low 70's. Nice, but not hot or anything. The girls were excited to go to the beach, so I threw stuff together & off we went.

Well, we spent Friday night in Pensacola, then went to Fort Walton Beach on Saturday. The girls got to play on the beach for a little while Sat. afternoon, but the water was COLD and they got chilled, so we went to our hotel room to hang out. Sunday we got out to the beach around 10:30 a.m. or so....I wore my jeans & a jacket cuz I was cold, Camden had on sweats & the girls were so excited to be on the beach that they stayed in their bathing suits! As long as you sat in the sun, it wasn't bad. The water was cold still, but the girls had a ball playing in the sand! Tom kept talking about how he was gonna get a sunburn, but I kept saying "nah...it's not THAT nice!" After a while, he asked for some sunblock. Well, I didn't bring any sunblock! I didn't really figure we'd need it - I figured it would be too cold to really be out on the beach for long. Boy was I wrong! The girls LOVED it, and Camden did his thing too. By now it was noon, and Tom set off to buy some sunblock because he assured me we WOULD need it. Of course I was skeptical still, and figured a little sun would actually do us all some good. Fast forward a few hours....Tom went & got sunblock, I put some on the kids (arms & faces - not their legs), and we enjoyed the beach until around 2:30 p.m. We then packed up & headed out to get a bite to eat before heading back home. As we were eating lunch, I casually mentioned to Tom that I had been right....the girls had gotten just enough sun, and it would probably do them some good. Fast forward again about another hour or so....the girls fell asleep in the car, and when they woke up, we stopped at McDonalds to get some ice cream. As we went to get out of the car, Mackenzie started to complain that her arms & legs hurt. Suddenly I looked, and noticed that she was BRIGHT RED!!! Yikes! So much for "just enough sun"! She was BURNT! Jenna was also red, but not quite as bad as Kenzie. That's when I realized Tom was right! We should have had the sunblock on from the get-go! We made a stop at a Wal-Mart to get aloe vera gel, and then finished our trip home. When we got home, I got an even better look at how bad the burns are, and felt horrible! Camden is the only one who doesn't look like a lobster. Probably because he actually had taken a nap in the shade for quite a while.
Anyways, I feel horrible!! Lesson learned...down here in the south, you wear sunblock!!! Well, I guess it's probably not just in the south, but just because it's not hot doesn't mean you won't burn. How stupid can I be?? Luckily, the girls are doing OK today but they still look horribly red!

So sorry for such a long post, but I had to let everyone know just how stupid I can be!! Other than all that, we had a nice weekend away, and now this week Mackenzie is on Spring break, so we're gonna try to do some fun stuff.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures in the next few days of our weekend! Take care until then!

No comments: