Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Discipline failure

Last week, Jenna came home from school with an "oops" note one day. Basically that means she had bad behavior at school. Evidently, she & another girl were supposed to wipe down the lunch table that they sit at when everyone was done, while the rest of the class headed back to their room. Well, they wiped the table off, but then proceeded to play around in the lunchroom, then head to the bathroom to play for a while, and finally came back to the classroom. Not necessarily a horrible offense, but it still warranted an oops note in my opinion so that she learns she needs to obey the rules at school. Anyways, the rule at our house is that if you get an oops note, you get spanked at home, then have to write sentences. Each time you get one, you have to write more sentences. This is only her second one, so she had to write 15 sentences. She HATES writing sentences! But, she got through that, and when it came time for bed, I took her to my room to give her the spanking. We had company over, so I didn't want to cause a big scene for all of them! :)

Now usually I grab a plastic spatula, but they were all dirty, so I grabbed a wooden spoon. She hopped on my bed, and I smacked her butt twice, and she winced in pain, but as I was hitting her the second time, the spoon broke and half of it went flying across the bed and hit the wall. She instantly looked at me and started laughing. I tried so hard to keep a straight face since I was in fact punishing her, but when I innocently asked her what was so funny, she was just like "something just hit the wall" and so then I burst out laughing, too. We picked up the broken spoon & then I carried her off to bed with probably a memory that will continue to come up in our house for years to come.

As we were walking to her room, though, we were still giggling, and my friend Tracy kinda gave me a funny look since she knew what I had gone in the room to do. I don't think she expected us to come out laughing. Is that what you call a discipline failure??

3 comments:

Harper's Mom said...

Ruth - That is actually quite funny. Although, the funniest part, in my opinion, is that your usual "spanker" was dirty so you improvised!

Rach said...

Hmm...I think mommy may need an "oops" note! LOL! ;-)

Rabbity-Sniff said...

You use a spatula to spank? Wait, what state do you live in?

If this happened often, like every spanking ended in laughter, then there's a definite discipline failure.

But this really was FUNNY. It was appropriately handled. Thanks for making me laugh!